5 things you need to know about Uttarakhand Super League
- Is a franchise based football tournament organized by a company called Uttarakhand Adventure Sports Pvt.Ltd.
- The tournament is affiliated to AIFF and the Uttarakhand State Football Association (USFA).
- The tournament will feature 14 teams, which would include one from each of the 13 districts in the state, and a team representing Corbett National Park!
- The tournament starts July 10 and the first round of matches will go on till the 30th July.
- Two matches will be played per day at 2.00 pm and 4:00 pm across five locations in the state!
- The matches are taking in place at Dehradun, Pithoragarh, Kotdwar, Haldwani, Haridwar.
- Second round matches of the league will be televised on DD Sports.
- Almora Burans
- Bageshwar FC Kafals
- Chamoli Bugyal FC
- Champawat Hills
- Corbett Tigers
- Dehradun Capital Rangers
- Haridwar Ganges
- Nainital FC Lakes
- Pauri Platoons
- Pithoragarh Panthers
- Rudraprayag Monals
- Tehri Lions
- Udhamsingh Nagar Warriors
- Uttarkashi Glaciers
If we go by the League’s website, each teams has a roster size of 15. A total of 210 players are listed across all 14 teams.
Interestingly, USL has managed to rope in some good sponsors. Backers of Bengaluru FC, JSW is the title sponsor for the event. USL’s website also lists LIC, GAIL ONGC as some of the other brands that are backing the league. For a regional league, this array of sponsors look quite formidable.
4) Baichung Bhutia?
USL’s website says “Former International player, Arjuna Awardee and advisor U-17 FIFA World Cup in India, Bhaichung Bhutia has graciously agreed to be the Brand Ambassador for the tournament!”